Monday, January 2, 2012

Dining chairs, one of four

After finishing my dining room table I needed to find some chairs to go with it. I wasn't sure of the direction I wanted to go and decided to hold off until I found just the right fit. I scoured the internet looking for inspiration when I stumbled upon this image. I just loved how the turquoise looks so vibrant against the natural wood and the black. Knowing full-well that I would most likely not be able to afford chairs like that I thought I may be able to achieve a similar esthetic if I searched for some parson chairs. I was originally going to get some chairs from Ikea but at $50 a chair it was more than I really wanted to spend. Then I came across these parson chairs on craigslist for $40 for the entire set. PERFECT! 



So I got to work on my first upholstery project, I thought this would be a good starter project as I have some tufted chairs that I would like to reupholster in the near future. Little did I know what a tedious project this would be, sooooo many staples. I decided to tackle this project piece by piece since I don't have very much room in my apartment and I would like to have some chairs that are completed at my house that were finished.



I have finished one chair and am very pleased with the outcome. I know there are imperfections but from a distance it looks quite nice and I am sure by the last chair I will have gotten a bit better. 



I'm so happy with how nice it looks with my table. 


I was running a bit short on fabric as I forgot to factor in the fact that I wanted all of the birds to be facing up. I decided to stitch together two skinnier pieces and finish it off with some buttons down the back. It turned out great and now I just need to get going on the other three. 


Thanks for visiting. 
~Hannah~

6 comments:

  1. Love this. Great Job :) My first attempt at reupholstering was NOT this beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Im hoping by the 4th chair I will be a pro. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a transformation! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow they look soooo much better nice job!!

    Ali of

    Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Alicia. Now to just finish the other two lol

    ReplyDelete